+44 (0)845 074 0614
|Locum Doctors Jobs By Region|
|Primary Care Jobs|
|Secondary Care Jobs|
Associate Specialist Psychiatry (Adolescent Ward)
|Job Ref: TM225981|
|Permanent vacancy in Locations are stated in the Job Spec. - Guernsey|
|Worlplace Type:||Mental Health|
|Job Type:||Child & Adolescent Vacancies|
|Last Date:||15 Jun 2013|
CVs will not be accepted once a significant number of CVs have been received.We are seeking an Associate Specialist to join our Adolescent services in Woking, Bury and Sheffield
The position reports to : Medical Director
Accountable to: Hospital Director
To support the consultant in the adolescent services in the provision of clinical care to a defined patient group.
Eligible candidates will need to be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria
•Eligible to work in the U.K.
•Basic medical degree
•Full GMC registration
•Three years post graduation experience in mental health including at least two years within Psychiatric in-patient settings.
•Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
•Good interpersonal and communication skills
•Demonstrable skills in written and spoken English that are adequate to enable effective communication about psychiatric issues with patients and colleagues
Commitment to Continuing Professional Development
Section 12 approval or eligibility for Section 12 approval and a willingness to become approved.
Evidence of successful annual appraisal to date within Psychiatry. Evidence should support achievement of ST2/CT2 competencies in Psychiatry.
MRC Psych Part I or Part II or equivalent
Experience in audit and research
Experience in teaching different professional groups including medical students
Ability to demonstrate commitment to inter-agency working
Experience in Adolescent Psychiatry especially in-patient
Experience in gender specific Adolescent Psychiatry Services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities;
1. Attend daily clinical handover. Attend wards after same to address acute medical/psychiatric issues.
2. Support Consultant Psychiatrists in their roles as Responsible Clinicians. Manage mental health needs of patients as per care plans and clinical needs. Minimum standards as per routine would be as follows:
Patients recently admitted should have a mental state assessment daily until stabilised. Thereafter, the Associate Specialist would aim to document a mental state examination on all patients at least twice weekly, either following a joint assessment with the Responsible clinician or own individual assessment. Deviation from minimum standards should be discussed with the patient’s Responsible Clinician.
3. The Associate Specialist will have a pivotal role in maintaining a full time medical presence on the unit and offering support to other members of the multi-disciplinary team as required.
4. Physical Healthcare is primarily provided by the visiting GP who attends weekly along with a Phlebotomist, but occasionally acute physical healthcare needs may arise which require input and management by the Associate Specialist. The Associate Specialist acts as the first Doctor to be contacted during the day if the nursing staff at Alpha Hospitals have any concerns about the physical health of a patient. The Associate Specialist will work closely with the visiting GP and ensure that blood results, clinical results etc., are recorded accurately in the Alpha Physical Healthcare Summaries.
5. The Associate Specialist will take responsibility for the Physical Healthcare Summaries ensuring that they are up to date, accurate and (with the assistance of the Medical Secretaries) are available for Consultants at ward rounds.
6. The Associate Specialist will monitor and update prescription cards, liaising with CNM’s and Responsible Clinicians to ensure accurate and appropriate prescribing.
7. Attendance at ward rounds will occur when necessary to discuss acute issues and agree ongoing care. If a ward round is not attended by the Associate Speciality Doctor will check the ward round minutes and liaise with CNM’s from the wards to ensure actions are completed. The Associate Speciality Doctor will communicate regularly with the Responsible Clinicians with whom they are working and receive formal supervision, one hour weekly from a nominated Responsible Clinician.
8. It will be the Associate Specialist responsibility to write and send discharge summaries when patients leave the service. These summaries must include medication history and Physical Healthcare Summaries.
9. It will be the Associate Specialist doctor’s responsibility to assess new patients and to document findings on the day of their admission. Reference should be made to the pre-admission psychiatric and nursing assessment reports in the notes during the checking in process.
10. The Associate Specialist will actively participate in CPA, MHRT’s and Managers Hearings including preparation of reports under supervision where appropriate.
11. The Associate Speciality Doctor will participate in an on call rota with the other Doctors who work at Alpha Hospitals. Other duties will include to work as a valued member of the wider team at Alpha Hospitals and therefore to attend Clinical Governance meetings, admission and discharge meetings, staff group meetings and the community meetings. Active participation in CPD will be supported.
The Associate Speciality Doctor will:-
1. Have access to a shared office at Alpha Hospitals and have appropriate IT and secretarial support.
2. Be supported in participating in audits and be encouraged to pursue any research interests.
3. Participate in enhanced annual appraisal. This will be held with either the Medical Director or the Consultant Psychiatrist to whom the Junior Doctor is clinically accountable.
4. Assist and cooperate with the Responsible Medical Officer, Alpha Hospitals Limited, to ensure that the Responsible Medical Officer can carry out their role in Revalidation.
5. Role development will include becoming a facilitator within the therapeutic group programme and assessing referrals and providing accurate and detailed reports for Commissioners.
For further information and to show interest, please send your CV through the ‘apply’ link below and a member of staff will get in contact with you as soon as possible.
|Note: Immediate start;|